Friday, March 12, 2010

Home

We moved into a high rise near downtown a few weeks ago. Having lived in suburb and been tired of it, this was a perfect move for us. Looking at the river and even steady stream of cars on I5 is so soothing. All these cars and trucks, they are trying to get someplace.

I lived in the south for a little while. We lived in a small house not too far from downtown, but the city itself was not that big from my standard, there was not much to downtown. After living in Portland so many years and being spoiled here, it was really hard to fit in the small city in the south. I was the one to move to the US away from Japan, but still enjoyed Japanese connection that I can maintain in Portland. Community, school, and food. There was close to nothing in the southern city for me. I missed it very much. And, the city living. I grew up in a big city and lived in Portland for many years. I missed that too.

Nothing wrong with the south. It's just that it was not for me. It did not provide what I needed. I did not feel invited or welcomed. Maybe because it was the small town, or maybe because that is the southern culture. Who knows? Could be my state of mind. Just that it was not for me.

I feel very much home here in Portland. This is my home. No matter wherever we move, I know I will be back here.


No comments:

Post a Comment