Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Creating

I had never being a creative person as growing up. My art class grades were always around B- or C+, not good enough to be an artist or bad enough to have to repeat the class. My painting was picked once for an award in 6th grade, and I was thinking "what just happened?" That was totally unexpected.

But, becoming a mother changes everything. I don't know if it actually changes EVERYTHING, but it certainly changes several things for me. I started creating.

Sewing...

I learned sewing as a little girl. I was an only girl in the family and youngest. So, my mom spoiled me making skirts and dresses for me when I was little. I watched her make them, wore them, and tried sewing with her sewing machine.
However, most of my sewing experience came in junior high when we all had to take home economics class and learned how to use sewing machine. The basics. Since then, sewing was lost for a long long time.
That is until when I had my oldest daughter 6 years ago. I borrowed my mother-in-law's 30 plus year-old sewing machine and made my baby girl a crib bumper, pillow cases, drapes etc. Then, baby girl number 2 arrived. More drapes, pillows, crib bumper, crib skirt, then eventually the girls matching tops, skirts, bags, bibs and more. My husband gave me an nice sewing machine one christmas and quit using the old sewing machine whose pedal gets really hot as I sew.

My hobby expanded enough to share with strangers by having a shop online. It is a tiny business, but what a great feeling to hear customers happy with my creation. Especially when customers come back again and again and again. I guess B- in art class does not have to tell me what I am capable of. After all, I got C and C- constantly in English classes in high school, and look at me now, I live in US!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment