Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Capacity of Love

When I was about have my second child, I was worried whether I was capable of loving this new baby as much as my first born. My best friend who also has two children and I recently talked about the fear we both had. But, the truth is that we never had to worry about loving the second child any less. I never knew exactly what happen to "my love" that I thought I had to divide into two children.

Then, the friend put in the very easy context that I can understand.

"Love expands." You don't divide your love. Capacity of your loving someone expands when someone important comes into your life. You don't love your existing loved one any less because of the new arrival. Your capacity of loving someone expands to accommodate the new arrival. That is true not only having a new baby but also having new friends and anyone special in your life.

My capacity of loving others expanded. And, it will keep growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment