Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Travel Diary - Story from my success (so far)

I have traveled with my two kids to Japan and across the US several times now.
Now I have many experiences under my belt, I am not so worried about the long trip with the kids alone.

We have scheduled the next trip in late June, and are looking forward to spending early (humid) summer in Japan... Seriously!

Here are some tips from me and why my trips have been successful so far!

1. Thanks goodness for the oldest who is a morning person.
She does not mind being woken up at the end of the long flights usually middle of the night Oregon time. With her sleepy eyes half open, she pulls her own carry-on suitcase full of toys, books, change of clothes (for accident) and blanket for herself and her little sister without much of complaining.



She is a trooper and awesome traveler.

2. Bathroom trips can be tough but can be done.
At airports, three of us all get in the wheelchair stall and take turns. "Taking turns" mean just the oldest and me. Then, we change the youngest diaper (until she is potty trained whenever that would be....)
We used to use stroller for traveling but now it is actually easier without.
On the plane, bathroom trip can be case by case. If I have to go and the kids are asleep, ask a flight attendant to watch them for a few minutes. If they are awake, we all usually end up going together or the oldest might stay at her seat entertain herself. But, the youngest has to come with me as long as she is awake. If the oldest have to go, we all go. NO QUESTION ABOUT THIS ONE.

3. Food (planning ahead for the 10+ hour trip)
I always bring some snack/fruit etc. Fruit always have to be disposed before entering another country, but still sounds healthier than junk food that comes in plastic bag. Rice balls have been very filling and good traveling food.

4. Last resort - Portable DVD player
The NW flight used to be equipped with on demand system. However, since they are aquired by Delta, the aircraft they use for the Portland-Narita does not have on demand system. We are stuck to watch the same movie at the same time with the rest of the passengers in the coach cabin. So, when the kids are just restless and bored, the portable DVD player has been a hero. It is better to have quiet kids on the plane without surrounding passengers giving you dirty looks and you are going crazy than worried about how much they are watching TV. My own sanity to last the whole trip is more important.


These are MY own secrets for success.
Soon, I think I will write funny stories from our experiences...


No comments:

Post a Comment