Tuesday, June 8, 2010

New Avid Reader

I was not much of a book reader in high school though I remember I went to library weekly with my mom and borrowed a few books at a time.

When I finished college here in US and I no longer had to read textbooks which took a lot longer than most native speakers would, I started reading books mostly on my commute in the bus. I love fiction mostly, but also tried biography, history etc.

Another break from reading after having babies. Just too tired to read something long enough to remember story and characters. Now the youngest is 3, I started reading again about a year ago when I realized that I had more time to myself.

My Japanese friends who come and visit our place are surprised to see my books because those are in English. Most of my Japanese friends still read books in Japanese though they live here in US. For some reasons, I feel more comfortable reading in English though I still pick some books and read them in Japanese occasionally. I would say 95% of my books are in English.
I even read English books translated in English. One of my favorite authors is Haruki Murakami, but I have not yet read his book in Japanese!

So, I realized this is something I should try: Read my favorite Japanese authors in Japanese and see how I feel different about them.

The first to try is a book called "Out" by Natsuo Kirino. I recently got hooked on another book of hers called "Grotesque", wanted to read another one, and bought "Out" in English at Powell's. Then, my friend who saw "Grotesque" in English at my place lend me "Out" in Japanese thinking I might be interested.




Now I have two "Out", US version and Japanese version. I will be curious to see what I feel about the books when I read them.
Soon, I will try Murakami, too.

1 comment:

  1. That would be so interesting! I'd be really curious to hear how the translation changed things. How amazing to be able to read in two languages!

    ReplyDelete